How to Open an American Funds Account
The steps for opening an American Funds account, plus how to find a financial adviser.
Thank you for your interest in American Funds.
We believe that a financial adviser's guidance is essential to successful financial planning. That's why you must open an account through an adviser -- and why we don't provide account applications on our website.
We can, however, help guide you through the process of joining our fund family.
How to set up a new account
- If you don't yet have an adviser, please call us for assistance.
- With your adviser's guidance, determine your investment goals and time frame, assess your tolerance for risk and analyze your current financial circumstances.
- The factors you identify in Step 2 will help you decide which fund(s) to invest in. You may also choose to invest in an IRA or a combination of investments.
- With your adviser's help, fill out the appropriate account application(s) based on your investment choices, and send each one to the mailing address indicated on the application.
- Within a few days, you will receive a confirmation statement in the mail verifying that your account has been activiated.
- Once you have your account number (shown on your first confirmation statement), visit our Getting started page to set up online account access.
Depending on your state of residence, there may be an in-state plan that provides tax and other benefits not available through CollegeAmerica. Before investing in any state’s 529 plan, you should consult your tax adviser.